Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Night & Day

Every morning I wake up and go for a walk with my dogs, Bentley and Tina Fey. The morning is rejuvenating for me, and the time of day I am most capable of finding clarity about my thoughts. I often wonder what it would be like to be a person of the night though… to stay up until the sun rises and then scurry off to my place of rest like the nocturnal creatures I meet on my early morning ventures. If that were the case the clarity I find when I wake may occur at another time, perhaps twilight instead of dawn, and I wonder how that would affect my work as an artist and thinker. It isn’t that I have never stayed up all night, I have on countless occasions, but the purpose of my consciousness during the night is usually to enjoy living without it. The night is an indulgence, a holiday from the life I live in preference. More and more I feel drawn to experience the night as I do the mornings though… to pay it an unreserved visit. As the morning has fond “characters”, so does the night… stars, the moon, coyotes, raccoons, bats, stillness… As an artist and thinker, even a person, I cannot deny myself the obvious need of a new perspective, to know about the life I often choose to sleep through. And to those who prefer the night to the day…

No comments:

Post a Comment